Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Why do you do what you do?

I’m a REALTOR® but the real question is why.

For me it has always been about helping other people be or do better. Sometimes that has been totally misunderstood, like the time Mr. Worley in 7th grade science class asked me if he could help and I responded no, could I help him. He understandably thought I was a smart ass.

In college, I wasn’t a great student, but I concluded those years trying to help a half a dozen others become better debaters. I know they learned from many, but I would like to think that I contributed.

When I was showing convenience stores how to essentially become restaurateurs, I know I helped create profits, jobs and some happy customers by improving the food and service.

So why did I get involved in residential real estate? Initially, because it was an opportunity to quit being on the road constantly, and from my observations of looking at homes in 4 states, a business that could use help. Working in the business for almost 14 years as an agent and as a marketing and sales manager for a builder, I have helped many people get the security, financial benefits, fulfillment, and shelter that works best for them. In the process, I know that I helped to create dozens of jobs, add value to land, and give back to the community.

Sometime in the last few years, I lost my way. You see, I do believe that there is never a bad time for some real estate to be bought or sold. However, for the last +/-5 years, that has not been true for most. I watched as prices went up too fast and many times questioned the appropriateness of decisions, particularly for buyers, in an unstable market. I watched as prices have come back down and entertained the same thoughts. Often I wondered whether I was questioning hard enough.

Which brings me to this; Today, December 1, 2009 I recommit myself to real estate. I make this commitment, because I know that there are opportunities for many folks that will enrich their lives if they make GOOD decisions. I make this commitment because somebody needs to be willing to ask the questions, even when it results in a non-sale. I make this commitment, because there are too many vacant houses dragging down the values of all and filling them will lead to improvements, jobs, and an improved community. I make this commitment, because too many people put their homes on the market and are inconvenienced when their house won’t possibly sell.

For the rest of this year, I will be writing about some of the tools that may help us fill or replace these homes and take advantage of the opportunities that exist, not just for a select few, but a large number of people. I would appreciate your comments and suggestions for tools to discuss.

Thanks,

John

No comments:

Post a Comment